What is botox injection?
Botox injection contains a muscle relaxant obtained from the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. Each vial contains either 50 units (U),100 units (U) or 200 units (U) of Clostridium botulinum toxin type. A-haemagglutinin complex as the active ingredient. It also contains human albumin and sodium chloride
What is botox injection work for?
Botox works by temporarily relaxing overactive or spastic (contracting) muscles. Botox injection can also block signals to the sweat glands thus reducing excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis), and can also block the release of chemicals in the brain associated with the cause of pain (chronic migraine). When injected into the bladder wall, botox works on the bladder muscle to prevent leakage of urine (urinary incontinence).
It is used to treat medical conditions associated with overactive muscles:
– causing excessive eyelid blinking (blepharospasm) in patients twelve years and over
– of the face (hemifacial spasm and VIIth nerve disorders)
– causing “lazy eye” or squint (strabismus)
– causing the head to be in an unusual posture or pain in the neck associated with twisting of the head (cervical dystonia) in adults
– in children aged two years and older, causing altered and unnatural position or movements in the hand and arm as well as legs, including those muscles that cause abnormal ankle position and walking gait (juvenile cerebral palsy)
– in adults, causing focal spasticity in the hands, arms or legs (adult focal spasticity).
botox is also used:
– to treat overactive bladder with leakage of urine (urinary incontinence), the sudden urge to empty your bladder and needing to go to the toilet more than usual when another drug (called ananticholinergic) did not help. Botox has been shown to markedly reduce leakage of urine and improve the quality of life of patients suffering from leakage of urine due to overactive bladder.
– to treat leakage of urine (urinary incontinence) in adults with bladder problems due to neurologic disease . Botox has been shown to markedly reduce leakage of urine and improve the quality of life of patients suffering from leakage of urine due to neurogenic bladder.
-to treat headaches occurring in adults with chronic migraine
-to treat excessive sweating from the armpit area.
-to improve the look of vertical frown lines that appear between the eyebrows, lines around the eyes and on the forehead.